09 February 2007

Just Call Me Grams …

I have commissioned a dear friend of mine to paint a 3-piece canvas mural to hang above “Peanut’s” crib and in it I am going to include the names of all of the soon-to-be grandparents (and since my husband and I are both children of divorce, there are several monikers to be added). Here’s the tricky part, no one knows what they want to be called. My mom chose, after much consideration, to be dubbed “Mimi.” My dad is following in his dad’s footsteps as “Grandad” and his wife is going to be “Noni,” but everyone else is at a loss (that leaves four unnamed g’parents). =)

Being new to the parenting arena, I’m curious how other families have tackled this subject. Do parents typically choose, as my dad did, to go by what their parents did? Do you Google “names for grandparents” in hope of inspiration? Do you go unnamed until the little one begins muttering first words and go with the one that sticks? As I have several in-laws scratching their heads over this one, I’d love to receive any advice you may have.

“We will never know the love of our parents for us till we have become parents.” — Henry Ward Beecher

-Tessa

No comments: