15 October 2007

Fun at the Fair


I stopped by the State Fair this weekend, just to check in on the big guy (Tex) and grab a funnel cake. Having not been to the fair in several years, though, I wasn’t sure what it might hold for a city girl who does not like heat or crowds. To my delight, I had a wonderful time! The weather was perfect, the grounds were pristine, the exhibits were fabulous, and the fried foods were just to my liking.

My family particularly enjoyed the Texas Skyway. It’s a welcome addition to the fair, and really, an unexpected treat. The ride is short, but the view is spectacular.

Also spectacular: The Neiman Marcus Fortnight exhibit in the Hall of State. Photos and memorabilia from the downtown store’s famed fortnight celebrations are on display here, and if anyone knows how to throw a party, it’s Neiman’s. A 1969 note from Stanley Marcus to the store’s visual director at the time strongly instructed him to keep within the $70-80,000 budget in the future. That’s about a $400,000 party, by today’s standards.

Only six more days to experience this year’s fair! Because, like Stanley Marcus, Dallas knows how to put on a show.

liz

No comments: