23 April 2007

Just a Case of Cold Feet?


Webster defines cold feet as “apprehension or doubt strong enough to prevent a planned course of action.” But is it OK for expectant mommies to feel the freezing effects? I mean, hello, this little man of mine is coming, my ice-cold tootsies be darned.

Until last weekend (I was in my hometown for my baby shower) I hadn’t had one moment’s pause about being a mommy — labor and delivery, yes, being a parent, never. However, early Saturday morning, I woke up in a cold sweat, unable to catch my breath with my heart clamoring wildly in my chest. I was literally panicking (or, to put it more eloquently, freaking out) about being a parent.

Streams of questions kept running through my head: Will my child like me, will he love me? What if I’m too strict or not strict enough? Am I destined to be a bad mom because I’m suddenly terrified? What does this all mean?

I was shocked by my sudden and unexpected attack of self-doubt.

I’ve since calmed down and am back in my happy baby bubble, but I’m no longer naive enough to think this can’t happen again. I need some mommies to weigh in on this one. Are these pre-baby freak-out flashes normal? And, if so, how do I assuage them when they attack? E-mail me your stories of survival (lol) at senior.editor@dallaschild.com.

-Tessa

No comments: