15 August 2006

“Daddy” Test Run





With 100 degree days that make us glisten (my dad always said men sweat, ladies glisten) within seconds of stepping outside, it’s hard to imagine that fall will be upon us soon (not that it’ll change the temperatures much, well, for awhile anyway). And with the new season, brings our second issue of babydallas magazine – the fall/winter issue. Though we only print this sister publication twice a year, I have to admit, it’s by far my favorite.

As a wanna’ be mommy, researching/interviewing/writing about all of the news, trends and must-know info relating to the preggars-through-baby’s-first-year period makes my heart go pitter pat … it’s kind of like cramming for life’s biggest exam. In the nearly two years that I’ve been with Lauren Publications, I’ve learned all about the benefits of breastfeeding, what DHA is and why new moms need it, the truth behind episiotomies, how babies impact the romantic aspect of marriage and much, much, much — way much — more. And this issue will be no different, though I won’t reveal our secrets … well, just yet anyway.

Since I feel I’ve been prepping for momdom since I started at the magazine, this past weekend I thought it only fair that my husby, Chris, get in some quality crunch time, as well (we are, after all, starting Clomid next month and I’m trying to stay positive that I’ll soon be blogging about baby bumps).

At the crack of dawn Saturday morning (OK, it was 8:14am, but it seemed to be the crack of dawn) I received the following text message from my dear friend Lindsay: If U R N town & have nuthn going on please come c us. Boy (this would be her 7-month-old son Connor) has been sick and Will (this would be her husby) is gone today & im on my own w/ the babe for the 4th day n a row. Would luv some company.

Girl time, plus quality bonding opportunity with baby? I was so there! Linz was in serious need of grown-up chit chat (and some make-up, but hey, don’t tell her I said so, lol!), so we spent the day catching up (apparently, I was in need of some chit chat myself). By the end of the afternoon I was kicking both mom and dad out of the house so they could mix and mingle with the rest of the world that knows nothing of binkys or Baby Einstein videos.

Things were looking good, until about 5 minutes into babysitting when Connor began to bawl … and bawl … and bawl … and BAWL. He’d been battling some baby illness (roseola I think?) and he was so congested it just broke my heart. So, like any good, never-been-a-mom type of chick, I called for reinforcements — the husby. We loaded the baby into his carseat and headed out for a drive … within 5 minutes he was out, that is of course, until I tried to UNload him.

Chris plucked the crying tot from my arms, grabbed the bottle Linz had made and curled up on the couch with both. Sitting in this burly, bald man’s arms, the baby was suddenly at ease … the tears stopped … peace was restored.

And I was in shock.

Here was my husband, this goateed, tattooed, teddy bear of a man all sunburned and swathed in his swim trunks (I pulled him away from a day of fun in the sun with his fam) completely wrapped around the finger of this itty, bitty baby. Connor stuck his hands in Chris’ mouth, yanked on his earlobes, spit up all over his shirt — and my husband was lovin’ every minute of it.

It was awesome.

When Connor started rubbing his eyes, Chris went to put him in his swing/sleeper thing while I went to stash the empty bottle in the kitchen. By the time I got back, I was greeted with precious sights and sounds: two bald boys snoring happily together.

I always thought my husband would make an incredible dad, but after Saturday night, I know he will.

So, for now, while we wait for the Clomid to kick in, I’ll keep boning up on mother/baby basics that we feature in the magazine and Chris, well, he can just keep doin’ whatever it is that he does to soothe the souls of cry babies. (Thanks to Linz and Will for letting us get in some “practice”.)

Great test run “dad.”

much love~
tessa

No comments: