04 August 2006

We Love Breastfeeding and It Shows!

Today, our publisher, Joylyn Niebes, and I accepted an award from the Dallas Area Breastfeeding Alliance for "Outstanding Support of Breastfeeding." Mayor Laura Miller gave the keynote address at the event and recalled her own determination to publicly breastfeed her three children. She was extremely gracious, entertaining and enviably thin. She also reads DallasChild!

Part of our core mission is to focus on stories that encourage moms to breastfeed their babies. We also do not accept any advertising from the formula makers. I saw many friendly faces in the crowd (who are always willing to answer our interview questions), including Stephanie Scholz Neurohr, who recently produced this beautiful DVD series on breastfeeding. Also - surprise! We got to sit next to my sweet friend Tracey Rauen - a fabulous childbirth instructor if you ever need one - who I met in Presby's new mom's class when our firstborn sons were infants. I also had the pleasure of meeting Nina Jones, who will be profiled in our Mom Next Door column in September. Nina is the president of the North Dallas chapter of Mocha Moms and the founder of a breastfeeding support group for mothers of color. It was such a warm and friendly event filled with women (and men) all bound together by a common belief in doing what's best for baby.

As a mom who is currently breastfeeding my third child and as a journalist, it was quite an honor. I guess I didn't mess up the acceptance speech too much (but I did drop the award - it was HEAVY ... I know you are laughing, Tessa). Thank you, DABA! -- shelley

No comments: