06 September 2006

The Case for a European "Holiday"


If you can’t tell already through my other posts and bio, I am a HUGE advocate of spending time abroad – especially at a young age. The benefits are overwhelming, and if you spend enough time mingling with the locals, you’ll not only get a true picture of Americans from the “outside world,” but see that the “American way” is not always the only way. For this reason, I believe that it’s crucial for teens and college-aged students to spend time abroad; the lessons they learn, and the perspectives they’ll gain are invaluable and will help shape their lives. They did for me.
I just finished working on an article about just that (advocating teen trips to Europe) for the October issue of NorthTexasTeens. In it, I let you in on the personal experiences I’ve gone through, and the knowledge and lessons I took back with me crossing back over the pond.
If your teen is asking for a trip abroad, or even thinking about it, I hope that after reading this article, you give them the green light – I promise that it is one of the greatest gifts you could ever give them.
-Lauren

PS - the photo is of me (denim jacket, far left), some of my classmates and a Scottish bagpipe player on the Millenium Bridge in London

No comments: